Friday, June 30, 2006

Another Stash Project in the Queue

On Monday a friend of mine sought my advice on a lace project that was not going well. She is working on the Birch shawl in some really pretty Rowan Kidsilk Spray. I believe the color was Vino. Some where after the first repeat the lace pattern had gone off by 1 stitch. This doesn't seem like a lot but it was really messing with the lines of the pattern. She was on row 3 of the third repeat and it was going to need to be pulled out to the end of the first repeat. I could tell that she was not too happy with this so I offered to pull it out and take it back to where she left it. I suggested she do a small swatch of the pattern with some less fuzzy yarn so she could get a feel for you the pattern flowed.

It didn't take me too long to get Birch back to were it was. It is a very simple lace pattern and since I have done a few lace items in the past I could see what it was supposed to do and didn't have to study the pattern every row. I definite time saver!

While I was working these little leaves I started to think that with the red yarn they were almost like flames. That lead to the thought that maybe I could write up something similar that would be flames. This required a trip to the stash!

I found this.















Perfect flame material! I have no idea where or when I got this stuff. It is Filatura Di Crosa "Kinair" (76% Super Fine Goat Hair, 24%Nylon). This doesn't appear to me made any more, but it is very similar to Rowan Kidsilk Haze. The yarn shop on the price tag was in Berkeley, CA from 1971 - 2001 when it moved to Richmond, CA and became wholesale only. I could have purchased this in Berkeley but I don't remember doing so. I did notice they had a lot of free patterns on their web page.

I tried several different ways of making flames. I used some wool I had leftover from another project. I think the stuff was ripped and reknit 5 times before I got a design I liked. Once I had my pattern I made a small sample with the red.



I like it! I going to put the sample in with the yarn and this project is going into the queue right after the blue cardigan and the Civil War shawl. Can't wait!

2 Comments:

Blogger The Green House said...

I think It's fixed now. Still can't get the darned thing to upload.

Friday, June 30, 2006 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger The Green House said...

I finally got the picture in! I have no idea what was wrong the last time.

Sunday, July 02, 2006 7:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home