Friday, June 16, 2006

Joanna Learns to Knit!

Now that she is a big girl of 4, Joanna thought it was time for her to learn to knit like mommy. We went to the local large discount chain store where she picked out a set of Red Heart US 13 plastic needles, in yellow of course, and a ball of brightly colored Lion Brand Jiffy Thick & Quick.

I cast on 10 stitches and taught her the rhyme

In through the front door

Down around the back

Out through the back door

Off jumps jack

I started guiding her hands and she told me to stop already with the rhyme.

By the time we got to the third row she had a pretty good feel for it and just need some help holding everything. At the end of the third row she had enough and it was time to get ready for bed.

You can see her total progress. She says she is going to make me a scarf but I think it will be a while before that happens. She likes to pull the needles out and use them for other things. Fortunately the yarn really sticks to itself and the stitches do not drop easily. I would really recommend this yarn for a beginner. The needles are ok. I thought the nice long point would be good for learning but they tend to split the yarn. Oh well, Joanna had to have yellow so what can you do?

2 Comments:

Blogger Kat said...

That's so sweet!

My 5-year-old *says* she wants to learn to knit like mommy, but she really just wants to play with the needles. :-)

You must be more patient than I am to get through three whole rows! Congratulations to you both!

Friday, June 16, 2006 7:57:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your post about this on Knitlist and had to come see. She did wonderful work! Your story is very inspiring for my baby girl's future knitting potential. Thank you for sharing it. :)

Saturday, June 17, 2006 12:00:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home