Saturday, June 02, 2007

Frolic and Detour

After spending a lot of time working on large projects I really needed something quick. I put the large things aside and looked for some (almost) instant gratification.

For Mother's Day, Joanna gave me this yarn:



She is certainly no yarn snob. I think it may have been the ducklings on the label that she really liked but I figured if it was what she liked she should get a sweater from it.

We looked around at some patterns and she liked the Monica pattern from Knitty but thought it needed sleeves. I suggested we have the ruffle go up over the shoulder and she liked the idea.

Not being able to make anything plain, we found a butterfly pattern Nicky Epstein's Knitting Over the Edge.



When I was picking up Joanna from school last week I saw a bead store had opened in the plaza where her school is so we went to check it out.

I found these little yellow butterfly beads and matching yellow seed beads.




I thought they would look great around the neck of her sweater.

They are a bit subtle but I like that. Here is the whole sweater.



Joanna was kind enough to take time from her busy schedule to model it for me.



She will be able to wear it to church tomorrow for her birthday!

The next question is, what do I no with the almost whole tube of yellow seed beads?

Back to the big projects!

12 Comments:

Blogger Melissa F. in CA said...

That is a beautiful sweater! What a lucky little girl :)

Saturday, June 02, 2007 6:42:00 PM  
Blogger knitting by Steph said...

wow! Great job! It looks great on your beautiful model!!!!

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:06:00 PM  
Blogger knitting by Steph said...

I forgot to say Happy 5th birthday!

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:06:00 PM  
Blogger Kerry said...

Happy birthday to your little princess! She's absolutely beautiful in her new top. :-) You did such a great job knitting it!

How about using up those beads on some socks or a shawl?

Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous! I love the butterfly beads :-) You'll have those seed beads forever - but I bet if you throw them out you'll find the perfect project in which you could have used them LOL. I like Kerry's idea of putting them on socks and shawls. Maybe you could make some yellow socks with some of the beads to match the new birthday top?

Sunday, June 03, 2007 2:46:00 AM  
Blogger JESS70KNITS said...

This is a fantastic rendition of the knitty monica. I would love to know how you made the ruffle collar. Could you share your modifications. I made the original version but it was huge on my daughter. I suppose I could save it for next year.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 5:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sweater is gorgeous! Great job:)

Sunday, June 03, 2007 6:29:00 AM  
Blogger Mary Anne said...

Happy birthday to your little girl! and what a beautiful sweater - I love the colour and how you added the sleeves and the butterflies and beads. Very nice indeed.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 9:31:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree - absolutely adorable. Please share your modifications - I've got three granddaughters I'd love to knit the tank for. I think it would make a great back-to-school wearable since it's always so warm in September.

Sunday, June 03, 2007 10:54:00 AM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Adorable Sweater and Daughter.. Happy Birthday!!

Penny
http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

Sunday, June 03, 2007 1:54:00 PM  
Blogger Kenyetta said...

That is awesome! Happy Birthday to her!

Sunday, June 03, 2007 2:58:00 PM  
Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Hello Again Laura,
My Friends and I were having a BIG discussion about How you modified the sleeves on this top..
Could you PLEASE email me and tell me what you did so we can solve this little argument that we wree having..LOL
My email is
peneloercola@aol.com

Thank You..Penny

Friday, June 08, 2007 5:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home