Friday, June 08, 2007

Frolic and Detour, part II

Thanks for all the nice comments about the butterfly sweater!

Since so many have asked, I will try to explain how I modified the pattern.

I made the size 6 but cast on 64 stitches and, other than the bottom border, just knit straight until it was 13" long. Joanna is pretty long waisted so I like to add length.

At that point I added shaping as follows:
Rows 1 & 2:cast off 8 sts at beginning of row.
Rows 3 & 4:cast off 4 sts at beginning of row.
Rows 5 & 6:cast off 2 sts at beginning of row.
Row 7: ssk, K8, cast off 16 sts, k to end

decrease 1 more stitch at the underarm and 1 stitch every other row at the center until 1 stitch remains. Bind off.

I made both front and back the same and stitched them together before starting the ruffle.

I made the ruffle as one circular piece. I cast on 288 stitches, knit six rounds of garter stitch then did the butterfly pattern. After the pattern was done I added 4 more rounds then decreased by slipping 2 sts together knitwise, k1, pass slip stitches over. At the end of the round I had 84 stitches remaining.

On the next round I attached the ruffle by knitting it on to the body.

After that it was a few plain rounds so I had a place for the beads then 4 garter rounds and cast off.

I also picked up sts at in the armpit, k a couple rows and cast off so it would look a little neater.

I hope that answers you questions, unfortunately I'm not too good at writing things down.

1 Comments:

Blogger Knitcrazy said...

Thank You so much for answering me Laura.. You truly did a wonderful job at modifying this top.. I LOVE it!!!

Penny

http://pennyknits.blogspot.com/

Saturday, June 09, 2007 10:59:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home